The path of sustainability is not a straight line. Once you’ve achieved results, you have to set the bar higher and find new ways of doing things to see further improvements. In 2018, we saw our estimated carbon metric tons per shipment grow by 1.2%. However, with a continued focus on People, Planet, and Purpose, we have many exciting items on tap for 2019!
People are at the core of everything we do: from our award-winning service to our best-in-class employee programs. PITT OHIO puts our customers, employees, and community at the forefront of our initiatives.
Our goal for 2018 was to hire 150 apprentices and we exceeded that by hiring 153
The majority of apprentices surveyed saw on the job training as a key opportunity. In 2019 we will continue building partnerships with various career center technical schools as a pipeline for apprentice hiring.
Rainy Day Fund
As of the beginning of 2019 there are 1,200 employees participating in PITT OHIO’s Rainy Day Fund, a program developed to encourage personal saving. In total these employees have saved over $1.5 million! Savings incentive bonuses have been provided to over 80% of participants totaling more than $125,000 through October 1, 2018.
In 2018, PITT OHIO’s charitable donations increased 7.5% over our 2017 donations.
Top Workplace Awards
PITT OHIO was again named a Top Workplace in multiple locations in our network including Richmond, VA, Indianapolis, IN, Cleveland, OH, and Cincinnati, OH. This was our 8th consecutive win in Pittsburgh, PA. These awards are based solely on the results of an employee feedback survey administered by WorkplaceDynamics, LLC.
Miles Per Gallon
In 2018, PITT OHIO grew shipments 2.3%, however the miles driven by PITT OHIO trucks increased 5%. That is an increase of 4.7 million miles. That’s like 10 trips to the moon and back! In 2018 average fleet miles per gallon started out below our 2017 levels. However, by the end of the year we saw a small improvement overall in miles per gallon.
Electricity usage was up 4.2% in 2018, mostly due to the installation of electric forklifts at 6 terminals. At the 15 locations that did not have electric forklifts, electricity usage was down 1.2%. In addition, emissions from propane usage was down by an estimated 22%.
- Completing new Cleveland terminal, located in Parma, OH, which will qualify for LEED certification and will include 700 solar panels and 8 WindStax® wind turbine and a micro-grid to store renewable energy, set to open Summer 2019
- Added 2nd WindStax® wind turbine at Pittsburgh terminal, located in Harmar, PA
- Trash compactors are now in place at 6 terminals
- Paper usage, on a per shipment basis, is down 2.2%
- Company car miles are down 9%
- Updated our datacenter by removing an outdated cooling and UPS system
- Reported to Carbon Disclosure Project, as well as Ecovadis
At PITT OHIO, 2018 was another year of exciting growth. Not only did our legacy LTL business grow revenue 7.5%, but our truckload team grew almost 15% and our Supply Chain Solutions group grew 28%.
The freight transportation industry was challenged in 2018 as capacity decreased due to Electronic Logging Device requirements. In addition, volumes grew; the American Trucking Association estimated that their For-Hire Truck Tonnage Index increased 6.6% in 2018 as compared to 3.8% in 2017. As shipping volumes grew, the transportation industry had to find new ways to move freight efficiently. As a result, PITT OHIO looked at technology, such as blockchain, electronic data interchange (EDI), and application program interface (API) to understand freight volumes sooner, eliminate back office costs and errors in freight billing, automatically report statuses back to customers, and provide a more seamless experience from pick up to delivery.
- 2018 Top 100 Trucker By Inbound Logistics
- Logistics Management Quest For Quality Award - Northeast and Mid-Atlantic Regional LTL
- Logistics Management Quest For Quality Award – Expedite Service
- Logistics Management Quest For Quality Award - Truckload
- PPG Excellent Supplier Award Recipient
- Regional Carrier Of The Year - Schneider Logistics
- Eastman Chemical Supplier Excellence Award Company (11th Time)
- Regional LTL Carrier Of The Year DHL Supply Chain - 2017
- 2018 LTL Fleet Of The Year By FleetOwner Magazine
- Top Northeast Regional Carrier GlobalTranz – 2017
- 2018 Inbound Logistics Top Green Supply Chain Partner
- 2018 Supply & Demand Chain Executive Green Supply Chain Award
- 2018 Top Green Fleet By Heavy Duty Trucking
As we start 2019, we have a lot of exciting initiatives on tap:
- Continue to develop our diverse, engaged, safe, and well-trained workforce
- Continue advancement and apprentice programs
- Cleveland terminal LEED Certified facility to open in Summer 2019
- Bring new, more efficient automatic transmission vehicles into the fleet
- Test electric vehicles
- Work on upgrading East Windsor facility to be LEED Certified
- Continue weather station research on wind energy in Columbus and Cincinnati, OH
- Continue to partner with the EPA’s SmartWay program
- Work on next level carbon reporting for customers
- Continue to give back to the communities we serve
- Identify customers and reach out to them on sustainability
- Operate efficiently and be financially sustainable
For more information about PITT OHIO’s sustainability program, please contact Candi Cybator, Manager of Marketing and Public Relations or visit our Sustainability section on our website.